Ok, I’ve been thinking about this for you. Ready?…
10 great ways to spend your time:
- Watching the Food Network on the treadmill. (Seriously, you get some great recipe ideas with the added benefit of being a boss.)
- Trolling http://animalstalkinginallcaps.tumblr.com
- Wandering around a city – new or old
- Making a pitcher of cocktails for your friends, because they’ll love you, duh. (The 712 Cocktail, The Gin Sour, or The Cinnamon Cidercane would be a great place to start.)
- Planning a road trip
- Re-watching all of the old Arrested Development
- Perusing thrift stores
- Lounging on the roof with wine and cheese (Once a week? Twice? No one’s judging.)
- Going to a free salsa/swing dancing night and resultingly either embracing how ridiculous you are or flaunting your sweet new moves ;)
- Spending an entire week perfecting an Old Fashioned
Definitely time well-spent.
I’ve done all of those pretty recently, but I need someone to keep me accountable for #4, #7, and #9 soon. Any takers? #10 happened last week in LA with my family. Man, I love my family. Do other families do this? I mean if the first Old Fashioned wasn’t quite right, we have to make a second…obviously. And the second was good but could’ve used a little more bitters, soooo… And then I honestly just wanted to become pro behind the bar, so my family lovingly endured another few Old Fashioneds throughout the course of the week. And I think we came away with something pretty great here.
Here’s what I did:
In a tumbler, stir together:
-1 oz. simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water boiled, cooled)
-4 dashes of angostura bitters (ends up being about 6 drops)
-3 oz. (2 shots) of good bourbon
-2 jarred sour cherries (like Morello, or another tart preserved cherry. *Just DON’T use maraschino…unless you’re that one person who likes them and can’t give it up for some weird reason.)
-a few cubes of ice
Obviously this is all to your liking – if you like it a little sweeter, try more simple syrup. Try more or less bitters (I happen to think 4 dashes is great, but some people like 2 and my mom likes 5). Try different kinds of bitters. Try it with an orange twist. Try it in a box. Try it with a fox. Just don’t dye it green ;)
*French phrase for fun:
Je ne les aime pas, moi, je m’appelle Sam.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.